ABCDCS : David Collins Studio by Assouline

But is it beautiful?”, is a frequent question I ask myself and the people I work with. It is a shallow and not very democratic question, but I do think that if I try to create something beautiful, in itself a very personal and subjective goal, then I can at least justify its existence and the thought process behind it.Beauty surrounds us, but it is often hidden, overwhelmed by the excesses of what else is present. My job is to expose and exploit the beauty in my work.  - David Collins




Assouline presents "ABCDCS" David Collins Studio

An elegant and astonishing new book of David Collin's work is released this June by Assouline. A powerful collection of images and text written by David Collins, and his thoughts and reflections of color, nature, imagiantion, youth, and more.


“I have always wanted to see things I imagine made into a reality,” renowned architect David Collins once said, a statement that rings powerfully true in the projects of his eponymous studio. Featuring a foreword by Madonna, ABCDCS showcases a bold portfolio of images that manifest the architect and interior designer’s creative vision, one that pervades the contemporary aesthetic. Presented alphabetically to reveal David Collins’ myriad influences and inspirations and the motifs within his Studio’s work, this volume is a visually captivating journey from A to Z. The much-loved and talented David Collins set up his eponymous Studio in 1985, assiduously gathering around him an expert team of designers and architects of diverse disciplines. Across the next 28 years, David Collins Studio has redefined how people live in public and private, creating timeless and beautiful spaces, each of which exhibits a definitive sense of place, whether a hotel, restaurant, residence or retail space. -" text via ABCDCS







"Inspired by the approach of 20th century modernist titans like Eileen Gray, Le Corbusier and Mies van der Rohe, David and Iain envisaged a studio that employed a team covering all elements of interior and architectural practice."









"I have always wanted to see the things I imagine made into a reality. This, rather than being a designer or an architect, is what has driven me to try to succeed in a fairly gruelling profession. I did briefly think that fashion or film could be the job for me, but they are both vulnerable to snap judgements and critical reactions. If you design something to please everyone you please no one. If you design to please yourself the result is transitory. But at the same time any work I have done that I have been pleased with has been the result of doing something simple but well. But simple is not easy and the process of building something is complex. I do not think of myself as particularly talented but I do consider that I am particularly hard-working and passionate or rather committed to doing my best. I can only live with order and work with order too – I like to categorise everything – from art to influences to people to work. That is why I can often pull disparate influences and materials together and make a narrative which may be invisible to the casual observer but reveals itself over time and experience."









Thank you David Collins.

Visit Assouline here. 





------------

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top